Sunday, December 2, 2007

Pre School.. School... Education.. Human!

I came across an article in Marathi news paper today. It spoke about increasing fashion and trends of 'pre-school'.

I wonder whether the entire education system reflects right direction and assures excellent future generation... When I hear about difficult oral interviews of tender 3 yr olds, written tests, parental interview, competition and huge donation sums, my fear grows further. I still do not like exams much- at this age!!!

Children previously used to go to 'playgroup', just to play, to get used to strangers and to mix with other kids of same age groups. Now they go to 'pre schools' where they learn ABCD and numbers (and mathematics too perhaps) in advance. And parents think they fulfill their duty towards their kid by enrolling him/her in a good pre-school and paying huge donation for a good school. And they have a small (!!) expectation from their kid that he/she should perform well in the interview. They do not find time to sit and teach their kids the needed stuff from their busy growing careers. And in their nuclear families and 'small' two BHK flats, they do not have enough place to invite their parents to stay with them. So kids do not have grand parents to teach them.

Value systems are changing too rapidly. What I have seen and experienced in my childhood has gone and vanished.....

Coming back to the school issue, I wonder whether this system will succeed in shaping bright future of my country?? In today's busy world, no one has time to ingrain values, tell stories, enrich emotional childhood world. We might succeed in making good engineers and doctors by this method but will we be able to provide philosophers and 'human beings' to the future generations? What will happen to morality of the society, values and culture in general??? I wonder........