Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Balance...??!!

Hya mazya pankhan ni udanya che ved dile
Pan mazya hatan ni gharate he nirmiyale..

My wings have filled my mind with dreams of fights.
But my hands have built this house….

Jaganya chi odh ashi, udnya che ved ase,
Gharatya chya lobhat hi udanya che bavya pise!

I love to live; I am passionate about flights as well,
I wish to live but I cherish big dream of newer flights as well….

Vyoma tun udatana odhit ase maj gharate,
An ubet gharatya chya kshudra te ch maj gamete

While in sky, my house attracts me,
And when I rest in my nest, I feel insignificant…

He vichitra dukkha ase, gheuni uri mi jagato,
Gharatya tun gagana tun, shapit mi tag-magto.

I live with this strange sorrow in my heart,
I find myself restless in the house as well as in the sky!!!

The story is old.
They all are usually ‘genius males’!
They wish to attain higher and higher degrees of intellectual (not professional!) excellence. It’s wonderful to be indulged in sea of knowledge. It’s eternal companion. (Pundita Ramabai called it her immortal husband!)
It’s equally alluring to get submerged in the work- either community oriented or personal. But my tiny brain always question that is it really essential to leave everything behind and get into whatever you wish to do?? Can one separate life and career for that matter??

For me, life is the center point. My career and aspirations revolve around ‘life.’ My favorite answer to the question ‘what do you do now days’ is ‘am living, as I always do!’

It is typical woman instinct it is perhaps.

I don’t know whether it’s really difficult to maintain a balance. Answer seems to be ‘no’ for a lady; but for men it can very well be ‘yes’. It’s not because of the differences in responsibilities or motherhood which women have to bear and cherish; it’s because of the certain level of detachment, men can maintain always! They can get things out of mind and head. Basically they use ‘brain’ most often.
I have read many mythological stories, especially of lord Krishna, whom I consider great enough for he has written ‘Geeta’!! He married few thousand ladies but he never seemed to be particularly involved in anyone of them. Radha too, could not bind him, though she spent her life with his name on lips, and though their love is idol even today.

It’s not the question of love and relationships really; it’s the question of balancing life and being happy at the same time. Rather I would say being content- satisfied. For me, am far away from the satisfaction at this stage, for I feel that I focus on just one aspect of my life. Yes, I consider my medical career as ‘just one aspect’ of my life. If I subtract it from my life; still many things would remain. I value those all. (Though I can’t possibly live with this absolute subtraction for all my life… but then I believe in adaptation… hmmm, well it’s a dilemma.)

I do not claim that this is the best approach; but I do feel that there should be some middle way. It’s possible to be in the house quite often, to fly and to be content always!!

No comments: